Re: [#116] ETags and concurrency control

From: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
Date: Fri, 09 May 2008 09:44:56 +0200
To: Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net>
CC: Pablo Castro <Pablo.Castro@microsoft.com>, Mark Baker <distobj@acm.org>, Henrik Nordstrom <henrik@henriknordstrom.net>, Robert Siemer <Robert.Siemer-httpwg@backsla.sh>, Brian Smith <brian@briansmith.org>, "atom-protocol@imc.org" <atom-protocol@imc.org>, HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>

Mark Nottingham wrote:
> I think this is a somewhat different issue, but it is certainly related.
>
> See:
>   http://www3.tools.ietf.org/wg/httpbis/trac/ticket/116

Thanks for making that a separate issue.

> The relevant text seems to be:
>
> p4 section 5:
>> Clients MAY issue simple (non-subrange) GET requests with either weak
>> validators or strong validators. Clients MUST NOT use weak validators
>> in other forms of request.
>
> Proposal:
>
> Clients MUST NOT use weak validators in range requests [ref to p5].

+1.

>> A cache or origin server receiving a conditional request, other than a
>> full-body GET request, MUST use the strong comparison function to
>> evaluate the condition.
> Proposal:
>
> A cache or origin server receiving a conditional range request [ref to
> p5] MUST use the strong comparison function to evaluate the condition.

+1.

> p4 section 7.4:
>> See Section 5 for rules on how to determine if two entities tags
>> match. The weak comparison function can only be used with GET or HEAD
>> requests.
>
> Proposal:
>
> See Section 5 for rules on how to determine if two entity tags match.

+1.

BR, Julian