Re: ETags and concurrency control

From: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
Date: Fri, 02 May 2008 16:59:21 +0200
To: Mark Baker <distobj@acm.org>
CC: Henrik Nordstrom <henrik@henriknordstrom.net>, Robert Siemer <Robert.Siemer-httpwg@backsla.sh>, Brian Smith <brian@briansmith.org>, Pablo Castro <Pablo.Castro@microsoft.com>, atom-protocol@imc.org, HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>

Mark Baker wrote:
>>  Not convinced. The current limitations on weak etags is just silly with
>>  the exception of If-Range..
>>
>>  In my view it's a specification error that validators based on
>>  Last-Modified is allowed in more places than weak etag based ones.
>
> Well said.  The meaning of any non-range conditional request message
> using a weak validator is unambiguous.
>
> So would this be a "clarify conformance criteria" fix per the charter?
>  Those MUST NOTs seem to make no sense AFAICT, unless there's
> implementation issues I'm not aware of.

+1.

In particular, it would be sufficient to *allow* servers to support weak
entity tags in these cases. This change wouldn't break (IMHO) any
existing compliant HTTP/1.1 client/server.

BR, Julian