RE: I-D ACTION:draft-nottingham-http-link-header-01.txt

From: Henrik Nordstrom <henrik@henriknordstrom.net>
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2008 02:31:34 +0200
To: Brian Smith <brian@briansmith.org>
Cc: "'HTTP Working Group'" <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>

On tis, 2008-04-29 at 11:44 -0700, Brian Smith wrote:

> I would like to see an "Edit" header that allows the server to say that
> PUT/DELETE requests should be sent to a different request URI. For example,
> I want the server to suggest that edit requests for the resource at
> http://example.org/foo should be sent to the authenticated URI
> https://example.org/foo).

This is one of the purposes of Content-Location, tells user agents the
"original/primary" location of this object if it's accessed from a
secondary location.

It's not pushed very hard in the specs as there is nothing that says the
two really has any strict relation to each other. The one giving you
Content-Location may well be lying about it and providing you an
entirely different object than what is available at the Content-Location
specified URI, just as they may make up any other headers such as Link..

Regards
Henrik