Re: Proposal for i23: no-store invalidation

ons 2008-04-16 klockan 18:58 -0700 skrev Mark Nottingham:

> Can you give some examples? 4xx to a GET shouldn't invalidate the
> cache, and a cache is allowed to return a cached response when
> encountering a 5xx unless must-revalidate is present.

I am not talking about error responses. I am talking about this text
which currently is only specified for HEAD and not GET:

   If the new field values
   indicate that the cached entity differs from the current entity (as
   would be indicated by a change in Content-Length, Content-MD5, ETag
   or Last-Modified), then the cache MUST treat the cache entry as
   stale.

It's a equally good rule for GET as for HEAD, and having them aligned
would help getting rid of cornercases such as the i23 question.

> In any case, I believe we can close this issue with no spec change; we
> may change text regarding cache invalidation separately.

Yes. i23 requires no change. This is a separate but quite related issue.

Regards
Henrik