Re: [google-gears-eng] Re: Deploying new expectation-extensions

I'm going to have to disagree on that one, I don't think 100 Continue
does a particularly good job at all, for the following reasons.

1. It uses an ill-defined heuristic for what a client should do in the
absense of 100 continue. The amount of work clients have to do to even
calculate timeouts is unreasonable (and often impossible), and commonly
it's not done well.  Again Thomas Moore applies: assuming silence to
mean anything (either assent or dissent) is just plain wrong, and
writing them into the protocol we'll bear the consequences whatever they
are.  In this day and age there's no excuse for not designing completely
deterministic protocols, especially for arguably the most important
application protocol we have.
2. It doesn't fail gracefully.  If you use expects and don't get a 100
continue, you have to wait around, terminate your connection and retry,
resetting up auth etc etc.  The suggested smart way around this is for
clients to "remember" which servers are HTTP/1.1, or to use chunked
uploads.  That's just really bad design: doesn't cope with change,
imposes unreasonable requirements on clients, and denies the ability for
proxies to set efficient policy on upload size.
3. The common heurstics don't work through proxies well at all, due to
timing based on connection to local proxy.  Chain more proxies and it
just gets worse.

and finally, by no stretch of anyone's imagination is it a negotiated
transfer.  A client can connect, and spew enormous amounts of resource
at a server without ever having received a byte in assent from it.
That's simply not negotiation in anyone's book.

100 Continue is a mild improvement in some scenarios (client direct
connection to slow server), but does nothing for several common problem
cases.

Adrien