Implicit *LWS

From: Geoffrey Sneddon <foolistbar@googlemail.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2008 13:47:52 +0100
To: HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>

Hi,

Over the past few days I've been looking over RFC2616, and I've found
implicit *LWS to be very troublesome. Is this planned to be got rid of
when moving to ABNF?

- It is defined as being between words and words, or words and
separators, but it never defines what a word or a separator is. Is
token a word? Is "foo" a word? Is "/" a separator?
- There are all kinds of places where I think it is allowed (pending
the above) where it really shouldn't be. As far as I can see, CRLF =
CR *LWS LF (where the *LWS is implicit).
- I assume it should be disallowed in http_URL (regardless of the
above).

There are things like this throughout the specification, and for that
reason, I'd much prefer to see implicit *LWS got rid of, and it
explicitly defined where it is allowed. Sure, it means having *LWS all
over the place, but at least it is unambiguous.

--
Geoffrey Sneddon
<http://gsnedders.com/>