Re: Deploying new expectation-extensions

From: Henrik Nordstrom <henrik@henriknordstrom.net>
Date: Sun, 06 Apr 2008 02:18:18 +0200
To: Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net>
Cc: HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>

sön 2008-04-06 klockan 10:06 +1000 skrev Mark Nottingham:
> /me shakes head at self... good point.
>
> The problem that this raises is that many people configure their
> proxies to not send Via headers. This breaks the algorithm that Roy
> posts later on...

Yes, and the specs says...

        The Via general-header field MUST be used by gateways and
        proxies to indicate the intermediate protocols and recipients
        between the user agent and the server on requests

The only way forward on that is educating implementers about the
importance of Via, and make them expose the following feature instead or
allowing Via to be removed:

        However, if the real host is considered to be sensitive
        information, it MAY be replaced by a pseudonym.

which is the correct resolution to the issue people try to solve by
removing the Via header..

Regards
Henrik