Re: Proposal for i23: no-store invalidation

From: Henrik Nordstrom <henrik@henriknordstrom.net>
Date: Sun, 06 Apr 2008 00:25:35 +0200
To: Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net>
Cc: HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>

tor 2008-04-03 klockan 13:17 +1100 skrev Mark Nottingham:

> My reading is that we think that no change is necessary here.

Not sure. It would make sense to generalize the HEAD invalidation to
also apply to GET responses. i.e. copy the text from HEAD to GET as
well. There is a whole family of uncachable responses, and the result
things can get very surprising  if caches do not invalidate the older
copy when the resource has obviously changed even if the current
representation can not be cached..

But no-store in itself is not a parameter to that decision, only the
fact that the response is significantly different from the cached copy.

And it's not about caches deleting the cached copy, only invalidating it
(threat it as stale on future requests).

Regards
Henrik