Sketch of a very simple identification protocol

From: Story Henry <henry.story@bblfish.net>
Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2008 17:47:57 +0200
To: HTTP Group Working <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
By thinking about a use case involving Distributed Open Social
Networks we found the need for a light weight identification system
such as OpenId, but without the many redirects and better able to work
with REST web architecture and Linked Data. The main reasons for
needing such a protocol were laid out on the Semantic Web mailing list
[1].

I summarized and illustrated a sketch of such a protocol on a recent
blog post.

http://blogs.sun.com/bblfish/entry/rdfauth_sketch_of_a_buzzword

It is very simple, and probably could be further simplified. Some
people have noted the similarity with HTTPS, and how this could be
thought of as an extension to that perhaps [2]. In any case I thought
that with some protocols experts on this list would be able to fill in
the gaps, suggest improvements or point to specs that already do what
is needed.

Yours sincerely,

	Henry

[1] http://www.w3.org/mid/37747504-ABB6-4074-8C98-2EB543F80993@bblfish.net