RE: i15: How to tell if a client does not support persistent connections

From: Larry Masinter <LMM@acm.org>
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2007 00:47:22 -0800
To: "'Paul Leach'" <paulle@windows.microsoft.com>, "'Henrik Nordstrom'" <henrik@henriknordstrom.net>, "'Lisa Dusseault'" <lisa@osafoundation.org>
Cc: "'HTTP Working Group'" <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>

>If adding this as a MUST can make existing compliant HTTP/1.1 clients non-compliant,
>then I think that it's outside what the WG charter allows (and logically would require
>a new minor version of HTTP, would it not?).

Frequently confused point:

Interoperability is the goal. If there are "compliant" clients that fail to
interoperate properly with "compliant" servers, it's a flaw in the protocol
design and it's reasonable to restrict the behavior of one or the other
in order to improve interoperability.

2616 won't go away, and if you were compliant with 2616 before, you will be
after the protocol is updated.

Larry