i15: How to tell if a client does not support persistent connections

From: Lisa Dusseault <lisa@osafoundation.org>
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2007 18:48:56 -0800
To: HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>

Issue i15 is closed, and the resolution suggests new text, in part:

	"An HTTP/1.1 client that does not support persistent connections
MUST include the "close" connection option in every request message. "

If this is really what we want then I agree this issue resolution is
an improvement over the old text.  However, is there any way of
distinguishing a non-compliant client in this case?  A client could
always *choose* to use new connections and claim that in theory it
supports persistent connections, and therefore doesn't have to
include the "close" connection option.

If we can't tell a compliant client from a non-compliant client, then
I wonder if we shouldn't leave this out under the principle of
sparing the MUSTs.  If I've missed some way of distinguishing a
client that supports persistent connections and chooses not to use
them, from a client that does not support persistent connections, I'd
like to understand that.

Thanks,
Lisa