Re: Request methods that allow an entity-body

On Fri, Nov 30, 2007 at 02:16:33PM +1300, Adrien de Croy wrote:

> that post does, but if you follow the thread through, Roy spells out
> clearly what the requirements are, that being that message parsing
> should not be dependent on the method, and that therefore (except for
> HEAD response for legacy reasons), one should not assume that any
> message (request or response) may not have an entity body.  If any
> message is to have an entity body, it must have a non-zero
> Content-Length header, or a Transfer-Encoding header.
>
> This is required for extensibility - the ability of existing
> infrastructure to deal with new methods, which may or may not need to
> use entity bodies in requests.
>
> This is also why there's an explicit requirement for proxies to forward
> unknown methods (depending on admin policy of course, but must be
> capable of doing it).

1) Where exactly did you find anything explicit for unknown methods?
   Especially a forward-must...
2) It would be new to me that the spec does force an implementation to
   contain code for something that can perfectly be switched off.
   Where does the spec require such a useless thing?

Regards,
		Robert