Re: NEW ISSUE: Transfer-Encoding in 1.0 messages

From: Henrik Nordstrom <henrik@henriknordstrom.net>
Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2007 13:58:40 +0100
To: Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net>
Cc: ietf-http-wg@w3.org
On fre, 2007-11-23 at 13:47 +0100, Bjoern Hoehrmann wrote:

> That is not clear enough for me then. If that is the intended meaning,
> we could simply add "This applies to HTTP/1.1 and HTTP/1.0 messages.",
> and perhaps note "Existing implementations vary in how they handle the
> Transfer-Encoding header in HTTP/1.0 messages" where apperopriate.

The whole spec applies to HTTP/1.1 clients and servers. HTTP/1.1 clients
or servers receiving an HTTP/1.0 message is supposed to parse this per
the rules in the HTTP/1.1 specs, not the obsolete HTTP/1.0
specifications.

This is why there is certain areas of the HTTP/1.1 specs mention
HTTP/1.0 restrictions where the client or server need to act differently
if the message was HTTP/1.0.

The version number in an HTTP message is the compliance level of the
sender. The receiver should parse it per it's own compliance level, not
the message protocol level.

Regards
Henrik