Re: NEW ISSUE: Monitoring Connections text

From: Henrik Nordstrom <henrik@henriknordstrom.net>
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2007 22:04:53 +0100
To: Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net>
Cc: ietf-http-wg@w3.org
On ons, 2007-11-21 at 21:51 +0100, Bjoern Hoehrmann wrote:

> My main concern is getting rid of the MAY as there is no new option
> being offered by the protocol, and getting rid of the "empty trailer"
> part.

Terminating the message using chunked encoding is optional. The client
is always free to close the connection if it prefer to abandon the
connection and open a new one.

The point of terminating the message using chunked encoding is that it
allows the connection to be kept for the next message, and is a MAY as
it's entirely optional and up to the client to decide to do this instead
of closing the connection. But it MUST do one of the two if terminating
the message.

> If you want to say that, it would be better to say "by sending the
> last-chunk at the next opportunity". There is no such thing as a
> "zero length chunk". I'm fine with any text that does not have the
> odd "MAY" and "empty trailer".

Right.. should be last-chunk without a trailer.

Regards
Henrik