Re: i37 - Vary and non-existant headers

* Adrien de Croy wrote:
>However for Accept-Encoding, I believe this is an advertisement of
>capability by the client, and absence of this advertisement should be
>taken to mean the capability isn't there, and therefore this is a
>non-match. (PS, this is another instance of where a reference to the
>"identity" coding should be removed).  There is also explicit wording
>for how to deal with a missing header in this case also which disagrees
>with me - states that "the server MAY assume that the client will accept
>any content coding".  This however IMO is dangerous, and the SHOULD
>requirement to send "identity" should be replaced by MUST send
>unencoded.  Otherwise we are making gzip, deflate etc all mandatory.

I am not sure what you are suggesting here. The requirement is a poorly
phrased "SHOULD unless" one, do you want to change this into "MUST un-
less" or into simply "MUST"? I don't think the latter is appropriate
(if I know for some reason the client can handle the response, there is
nothing wrong with sending an encoded entity body), and turning it into
a "MUST unless" is not meaningful, since "SHOULD" is already "MUST un-
less".