Re: i70: cacheability of status 303

Mark Nottingham wrote:

> Any other thoughts on this? It's a fairly substantial change. David B
> suggested a few re-wordings, but I don't see agreement around those yet.
>
> Personally -- there are a few editorial changes that I'd make, as the
> proposal is a bit wordy;
>    - "in order to obtain a representation corresponding to the response,
> be redirected again, or end with an error status" is superfluous, as is
> "generally" and "by Cache-Control or Expires header fields."
>    - "...transferred by the server over HTTP" seems clunky, as does
> "follow-on", although I don't have any immediate suggestion for either.

+0 -- that is, it is wordy, but I don't think this is a problem.

> Also, we seem to be implicitly dropping the note to implementers WRT
> HTTP/1.0 support for 303. Are we confident that this is no longer a
> problem?

I would lean to "no, it's no problem", unless somebody can point to a
client that still is in significant use and has that problem. Let's try
to get rid of *some* of the historical stuff :-).

> Finally, 2616 makes it a SHOULD-level requirement that the Location URI
> is a different URI. Are we dropping that explicitly? One easy fix would
> be to change "The Location URI indicates a resource..." to "The Location
> URI SHOULD indicate a different resource..."

The requirement is still there ("The server directs the user agent to a
different resource, indicated by a URI in the Location header
field..."), it just doesn't use RFC2119 terminology to say that. I
personally have no problem with that.

> Otherwise, it looks good to me. I've copied the original spec text below
> for comparison.

Best regards, Julian