Re: Semantic meaning of double quotation marks delimiting quoted-string

From: Geoffrey Sneddon <foolistbar@googlemail.com>
Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2007 19:27:15 +0000
Cc: ietf-http-wg@w3.org
To: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>

On 28 Oct 2007, at 18:32, Julian Reschke wrote:

> Geoffrey Sneddon wrote:
>> Hi,
>> Earlier today I posted <http://gsnedders.com/http-entity-tags-
>> confusion>, and having discussed it with various people, have
>> concluded that it'd be best addressed by RFC 2616bis.
>> In short, the post raises the issue of the meaning of double
>> quotes. If you parse them out, you end up with Etag: W/"a" and
>> Etag: "W/a" equivalent. If you don't, you can end up with
>> character sets such as "UTF-8" (i.e., including the quotation
>> marks) in headers like Content-Type: text/plain;charset="UTF-8".
>> What is the expected behaviour for quoted-string (or, if need be,
>> for each and every specification that uses quoted-string)?
>
> The simple answer is: the double quotes are part of the entity tag.
> So a response header such as
>
> 	ETag: x
>
> would simply be invalid and should be ignored.

I am aware  but how is the receiving end meant to deal with them? Is
it meant to keep the quotation marks around any quoted-string, even
when that therefore results in non-exist things like a character set
called "UTF-8" (with quotes)? Or does the behaviour need to be
specific to each and every use of quoted-string need to have it
defined separately?

- Geoffrey.