Re: RFC 2616, partitioned

Having looked at this a bit more closely, I think that

1) generating an rfcdiff from draft-lafon-00 and each of the
partitioned specs, and
2) verifying the text's stability manually, and
3) checking section by section to make sure that no text has been
dropped (shouldn't be too bad, as most things are in section-sized
chunks).

would be a viable process for generating the paper trail from RFC2616
to a partitioned spec.

I say draft-lafon-00 because there's already a paper trail from
RFC2616 to it, and doing it this way will result in less noise in the
diffs (e.g., spacing, capitalisation in section heads). I did notice
a few places where small resolutions had been inserted (against the
original errata?); would there be a better draft of Yves' and
Julian's to use as a base?

If people agree with that, it seems like the relevant questions are

a) Is a partitioned specification desirable?
b) If so, is this the right partitioning?

Cheers,

P.S. Roy, are you able to use any version of rfc2xml to generate a
text I-D from these? I've had several problems, and it's still not
perfect.