NEW ISSUE: Content-Coding vs ETags

From: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2007 20:20:46 +0200
To: "ietf-http-wg@w3.org Group" <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>

Hi,

...as summarized today by Sam Ruby
(<http://intertwingly.net/blog/2007/09/30/Etag-vs-Encoding>).

My feeling is that over here there is indeed consensus that using
Content Coding indeed is a case of server driven content-negotiation;
but it's also pretty clear that there are places in the spec that could
be read differently. Let's clarify those.

Related to that, it's (IMHO) also not clear at all whether you need to
use "Vary" on the response if the request didn't contain the header
you're varying on. My reading was that yes, you need to do so, but
that's not what IIS7 does (which at least gets the ETag right), and as
far as I recall, Henrik N. argued the other way in the past.

Best regards, Julian