Re: [Fwd: I-D ACTION:draft-dusseault-http-patch-09.txt]

From: Henrik Nordstrom <henrik@henriknordstrom.net>
Date: Fri, 07 Sep 2007 22:36:50 +0200
To: Travis Snoozy <ai2097@users.sourceforge.net>
Cc: Jamie Lokier <jamie@shareable.org>, Yaron Goland <yarong@microsoft.com>, James M Snell <jasnell@gmail.com>, HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
On fre, 2007-09-07 at 12:19 -0700, Travis Snoozy wrote:

> Variations and backward-compatible hacks are part of what's turned HTTP
> into the crufty monster that it is today. I really don't like the
> notion of layering more hacks upon cruft upon incompatibilities upon
> heuristics. Yeah, we can make it fit if we bring out a hack saw and
> make the round hole square -- but adding more complexity just means
> there are more things to misunderstand, mis-implement, and otherwise go
> wrong.

Fully agreed.

Trying to specify a protocol while keeping 100% compatibility with any
broken existing implementation just introduces even more breakage.

And no, I do not accept pipelining labeled as unusable only because
there is severs out there doing the wrong thing. With that attitude even
GET is unusable.

But pipelinig is certainly not without problems, some of which
practically needs to have the transport changed before they can be
solved.

Regards
Henrik