Should a DELETE against a non-existent resource return a 2xx code?

From: Yaron Goland <yarong@microsoft.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2007 10:05:11 -0700
To: "ietf-http-wg@w3.org" <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
When I wrote the language around DELETE in Web3S I required that if a DELETE request is received for a URL that doesn't map to a resource then the response should be a 2xx since the intent of the DELETE request has been achieved - the URL doesn't map to a resource. I remember thinking that this is 'normal' HTTP behavior. But I can't find any backup for that thinking in RFC 2616. Also it does seem rather odd that executing a method against a URL that doesn't map to a resource would 'work' even if the goal of the method was to make sure the URL doesn't map to a resource. It feels like this should perhaps be a 404.

What's the opinion of the working group?

                Thanks,

                                Yaron