Re: Patch options -- summary of recent conversations

On Fri, 10 Aug 2007, Henrik Nordstrom wrote:

> validator allowing the client to request the resulting resource if it
> wants it. I don't see much benefit in complicating the specification by
> a conditional return of the modified resource when the same task can be
> acheived by a followup method, and quite safely so thanks to cache
> validators.

The problem that this doesn't cover is the care where two patches are
applied in rapid succession. Returning the result allow a client that
cares to compare the result with expectation to apply that level of
verification. The validator will not match when the first client makes its
request since the second client has already 'upgraded' the current
validator for the resource leaving the first belt and suspenders client
w/o an easy way to confirm correct application of the patch.