Re: I-D ACTION:draft-reschke-http-get-location-00.txt

From: Roy T. Fielding <fielding@gbiv.com>
Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2007 16:00:46 -0700
Cc: Henrik Nordstrom <henrik@henriknordstrom.net>, HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
To: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>

On Aug 6, 2007, at 3:01 PM, Julian Reschke wrote:
> I'd also like to point out that I'm not *redefining* the protocol.
> Everything in the protocol as defined by RFC2616 still means the
> same thing in my proposal. It's just *extending* it.

RFC 2616 is a specification of the protocol.  The actual protocol is
how HTTP is ideally implemented in the real world (i.e., something
which, once implemented, we would say is free of communication bugs).
If RFC 2616 is the protocol, then the protocol cannot be revised.

What you are calling GET-Location is Content-Location.  I don't care
what you have to change in RFC 2616 in order to make that understood
by others -- changing the specification is irrelevant compared to
adding yet another redundant feature to an already bloated protocol.

....Roy