Re: New issue: Need for an HTTP request method registry

in principle I agree.

However I would strongly caution against the proliferation of methods.

<horse:dead:flog>

since I write a proxy, I'm biased towards proxies, but every time a
method is added to HTTP, we eventually get requests to support it.

Even if it is painful, we can at least do that since we're software-based.

But there are zillions of deployed hardware-based HTTP gateways that
don't get firmware updates.  These will be broken for any new methods
until they are replaced.  Many of these intercept connections as well :)

A layered approach might be a better solution to implementing new
higher-level applications.  One that doesn't invalidate deployed
servers, gateways etc.

e.g. use HTTP for the transport only, not the higher-level application
layer.  It would solve a lot of compatibility issues for proxy and
gateway vendors, reduce obsolescence and generally improve customer
return on investment.  Furthermore it would restrict the scope of
changes required for any functionality to only those parties involved
(i.e. specific servers and clients) rather than all intervening HTTP
infrastructure as well.

</horse:dead:flog>