Re: New "200 OK" status codes, PATCH & PROPFIND

I'm probably going to get shot down for this but... just an observation

All these extensions to the core protocol to deal with relatively
minority cases seems problematic to me.

Modifications to the protocol require adoption by all parties in any
comms.  There's a lot of infrastructure out there that won't change:
proxies, servers... clients.

Add to that the proposed complexity of "Preferences" vs "Expectations".
The problem with preferences is they are non-deterministic.  Just like
in real life (i.e. with people) :)

So, my suggestion would be to layer something over the top of HTTP for
use-cases like this.  Use SOAP or something, and define the XML that
goes back and forth to do this editing and patching as a separate spec,
but leave HTTP alone.  Then modifications to the requirements for the
special situations are independent of the transport protocol.

imagine if we extended TCP whenever we wanted some new application-level
functionality?

Regards

Adrien