Re: I-D ACTION:draft-reschke-http-get-location-00.txt

From: Henrik Nordstrom <henrik@henriknordstrom.net>
Date: Mon, 06 Aug 2007 18:25:49 +0200
To: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
Cc: HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
> > It's a bit special indeed as it doesn't act on the requested resource
> > itself.. For PROPFIND the requested variant is clearly the PROPFIND
> > results which is different from the request-URI resource..
>
> My understanding was that the requested variant is independent of the
> request method.

Right.. it is. Or at least thats the most intelligble definition of it.
Doesn't make much sense in PROPFIND, but then a whole lot doesn't..

So a new header is required for PROPFIND to be able to return the ETag
of the PROPFIND entity. I'd propose Content-ETag for this purpose.

I dislike trying to add new "URI" header formats with their own parsing
requirements, which is my main objection to your new proposed header.

Regards
Henrik