Re: PATCH Draft

Stefan Eissing wrote:
> Good point.
>
> Furthermore RFC2616 section 8.1.2.2 advises: "Clients SHOULD NOT
> pipeline requests using non-idempotent methods or non-idempotent
> sequences of methods (see Section 9.1.2)."
>
> And 9.1.2 says: "However, it is possible that a sequence of several
> requests is non-idempotent, even if all of the methods executed in that
> sequence are idempotent. (A sequence is idempotent if a single execution
> of the entire sequence always yields a result that is not changed by a
> reexecution of all, or part, of that sequence.)"
>
> While I am now not certain that "PUT+GET" count as idempotent sequence,
> any sequence containing PATCH has to be regarded as non-idempotent. I
> think.

PATCH is neither safe or idempotent.  It is possible to imagine that
certain specific sequences containing PATCH could be considered to be
idempotent but I think such cases are going to be the exception rather
than the rule.

> A request header seems a good way to approach this for PUT and PATCH.
> But is it clear on seeing a 200 response with empty body that the server
> has honored the header? Is a response header needed here as well?

Hmm.. I would almost be more inclined to use a new 2xx response code
than a new response header.  E.g. something like "209 Content Included".
The code would indicate a successful request and that the payload
contains a representation of the modified resource.  The spec can
require the use of the new code iff the server decides to return the
modified resource.

- James