Re: New Status Code -- 2xx Greedy Hotel?

IE7 displays it as well.

Fortunately I stay less in hotels, but I can see the use case for the
login forms. Non-browser clients would benefit from detecting the
difference between what they wanted and what they got.

Cheers,

Stefan *death-to-ua-sniffing*

Am 15.03.2007 um 14:48 schrieb Mark Nottingham:

> After being in hotels for a few weeks, I'm starting to wonder
> whether a new 2xx HTTP status code could be defined whose semantic
> is "This isn't what you asked for, but here's some information
> about how to get network access so you can eventually get it."
>
> 2xx so that browsers will display it. AFAICT, they do; or at least,
> Safari and Firefox do (see <http://www.mnot.net/test/222.asis>).
> IE? 4xx might be more appropriate, but I despair of "friendly"
> error messages. (thought they could be padded, I suppose).
>
> A new status code so that feed aggregators, automated clients, etc.
> can differentiate what they asked for from your hotel / conference
> centre / etc. asking for cash in order to get network access, and
> not get horribly messed up as a result.
>
> It would also be useful in those cases where you get redirected
> somewhere to login and get a cookie for authentication; e.g.,
> Yahoo!, Google, Amazon, etc. Same situation, but slightly different
> use case.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> --

Stefan Eissing