PATCH and WebDAV, was Re: PATCH Draft

From: Cyrus Daboo <cyrus@daboo.name>
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2007 12:01:11 -0400
To: James M Snell <jasnell@gmail.com>, ietf-http-wg@w3.org, Lisa Dusseault <lisa@osafoundation.org>

Hi James,

--On June 25, 2007 1:10:04 PM -0700 James M Snell <jasnell@gmail.com> wrote:

>   http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-dusseault-http-patch-07.txt

> Comments? Concerns?

As has been indicated PATCH will likely be used by WebDAV servers.
Therefore I think it would be handy to have a "WebDAV Considerations"
section that describes any issue specific to WebDAV. In particular the
interaction with WebDAV ACL ought to be clarified (basically that use of
PATCH will be tied to the same ACLs that enable use of PUT - assuming that
we allow PATCH to create a new resource as well as modify an existing one).
It might also be useful to define a "DAV:supported-patch-formats" property
to allow the patch formats supported by a particular resource to be
enumerated. Also, is it meaningful to PATCH a collection? e.g. could I
PATCH a new collection and effectively create all the resources within that
collection all in one go? Or could it be used to PATCH specific resources
in the collection all in one go?

Julian also commented:

> - define a PATCH format that can bundle data and metadata (body + WebDAV
> properties, media resource + atom entry) into a single, atomic request

It would certainly be useful to have an atomic operation that creates a new
resource, stores it body, initializes properties and initializes ACLs all
in one go. In particular the initialization of ACLs would be very useful
for the case where you want to create a resource with permissions that are
more restrictive than the defaults you would otherwise get. In that case
right now, a client is forced to first create an empty resource, then
change ACLs, then store the resource data - a lot more work than should be
needed.

--
Cyrus Daboo