Re: PATCH Draft

Am 26.06.2007 um 00:26 schrieb Henrik Nordstrom:

> mån 2007-06-25 klockan 22:27 +0200 skrev Stefan Eissing:
>
>> Personally, I think this is not helpful. PATCH cannot require servers
>> to support such a format. For every format it is trivial to think of
>> an application where it does not make sense.
>
> Sure, but for interoperability it helps a lot if there is at least one
> text and one binary format that most clients can expect to be
> supported
> on most servers, therefore one or two recommendations on formats to
> use
> helps a lot.

Yes and no. I agree that *if* we had such document type formats,
intellectual property free, it would help PATCH to reference them as
recommendations.

But it seems that these formats need to be invented first, or at
least defined, and that takes precious time. We have *now* http
applications like AtomPub and Web3S which could make use of PATCH.
So, instead of inventing their own methods or twisting PUT, I think
everyone is better served with a well defined PATCH without
recommended formats than no PATCH at all.

It worked for GET, PUT and POST.

Cheers,

Stefan