Re: PATCH Draft

On Jun 25, 2007, at 3:35 PM, Henrik Nordstrom wrote:

> the part talking about caching..
>
> Why isn't the response to this method cacheable? It should be aligned
> with POST, allowing for a 200 OK response which is cacheable, carrying
> the modified entity.

That should be fine.  I wonder if it's worth the extra variation to
allow the server to carry the entire modified entry.  In some cases
that would remove the whole point of supporting PATCH (allowing
authoring of large files without constant uploading and downloading
of entire file) so returning the body at least has to be optional.

> Why is Accept-Patch required. Or what is it that makes Accept
> unsuitable here?

Accept is a request header.  I assumed that it would be viewed in bad
taste to use it as a response header.  It might also in the long run
be confusing -- the server might accept certain diff formats for
PATCH, but accept other inputs for other purposes.

Lisa