Required DIFF format [was Re: PATCH Draft]

From: Lisa Dusseault <ldusseault@commerce.net>
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2007 16:04:53 -0700
Cc: James M Snell <jasnell@gmail.com>, ietf-http-wg@w3.org
To: Stefan Eissing <stefan.eissing@greenbytes.de>

On Jun 25, 2007, at 1:27 PM, Stefan Eissing wrote:

>>   * Should there be a single minimum recommended diff format
>>     for binary/character based resources.  I know that this has
>>     been controversial in the past and I personally don't have
>>     an opinion on it.  I know that Lisa would prefer for there
>>     to be at least one minimum recommendation
>
> Personally, I think this is not helpful. PATCH cannot require
> servers to support such a format. For every format it is trivial to
> think of an application where it does not make sense.

That's true.  To be more clear, what I had in mind was requiring a
MTI diff format for one particular case, that of a server that stores
resources exactly as the client PUTs them, and the GET result is also
byte-for-byte identical.  This is a fairly common case, particularly
among WebDAV servers.

For resources that are stored exactly the way they appear on the
wire, I cannot think of a case where a binary diff is going to cause
problems.

Thus, the language I'd proposed was something like:

	In order to improve potential interoperability, servers that store
resources unchanged
	(or can apply deltas as if resources are stored unchanged) are
RECOMMENDED to
	support [FOO] as a common-denominator approach.

The problem with this is not the desirability of it -- for any server
that wants to support PATCH and returns byte-for-byte identical
resources, it's desirable to have a PATCH format that clients are
likely to know.  The problem is rather that there is no binary patch
format with a legitimately registered MIME type.

Lisa