migration to ABNF, was: i31 (qdtext BNF) resolved

From: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2007 16:35:08 +0200
To: HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>

Julian Reschke wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I had an outstanding action item to resolve issue i31
> (<http://www.w3.org/Protocols/HTTP/1.1/rfc2616bis/issues/#i31>) as per
> <http://www.w3.org/2007/03/18-rfc2616-minutes.html#action13>.
>
> Done. See
> <http://www.w3.org/Protocols/HTTP/1.1/rfc2616bis/draft-lafon-rfc2616bis-latest.html#rfc.issue.i31-qdtext-bnf>.
>

> Best regards, Julian

Speaking of which, qdtext is now defined as:

        qdtext         = <any TEXT excluding <"> and "\">

That production will (IMHO) be rejected by both RFC822-style and
RFC4234-style ABNF parsers (since the the first > character ends the
prose val).

A simple fix would be to replace this by:

        qdtext         = <any TEXT excluding '"' and '\'>

We could also embrace the Core Rules of RCF4234
(<http://greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/rfc4234.html#rfc.section.B.1>,
defining DQUOTE and using it throughout (which should be a painless
change, except for a few productions where we'd need to realign comments).

Feedback appreciated, Julian