Re: protocol support for intercepting proxies

From: Adrian Chadd <adrian@creative.net.au>
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2007 11:31:18 +0800
To: Adrien de Croy <adrien@qbik.com>
Cc: HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>

On Mon, Jun 18, 2007, Adrien de Croy wrote:

> None of this addresses the fact that
>
> a) intercepting proxies exist, and exist currently unsupported by the spec
> b) customers want to be able to *enforce* HTTP policy on their corporate
> networks,
> c) customers don't like to have to pay sys admins to do things they can
> get around with technology.
> d) the more links you put in a chain, the more chance one of them will
> break.

Explain how you can get around these issues with technology without having
at least a skeletal technical services staff to handle issues?

My last client has a 1400 desktop environment running off a single Squid
server, using central-managed browser configuration + proxy.pac for the
actual service configuration. Works fine for their requirement.
They've had no complaints since I updated their Squid environment (since
not touching an environment for 5 years does result in degraded performance;
they had no system administrator for their squid stuff which "just worked"
for said 5 years..)

Adrian