Re: RFC2616 vs RFC2617, was: Straw-man charter for http-bis

The reason I raised it is that security and authentication /
identification are 2 concepts that go hand in hand more often than not.

we have a plethora of auth schemes in use on the net - one per
application protocol.  They sometimes are similar (i.e. SASL ones), but
often are not.

TLS is a protocol that provides security of communications, and allows
for mutual identification through certificates.

So it would make sense to solve both problems at the same time, instead
of one with TLS, and the other with a horde of higher level
authentication protocols.  Then it gets designed and debugged once,
instead of once per protocol, with obvious improvements in reliability
of implementation.

Adrien