Re: RFC2616 vs RFC2617, was: Straw-man charter for http-bis

my experience also is that it is extremely rare to encounter public web
servers that use any HTTP auth mechanism.

NTLM and Basic auth is often used for intranets, and proxy access.

I've never seen an instance of Digest auth.

Seems to me that the issue of securing communications and authenticating
or identifying parties are closely aligned, why not just have some form
of auth built into TLS, then we could use it for any protocol that can
use TLS, instead of having to implement separate auth schemes for every
higher protocol.