Re: RFC2616 vs RFC2617, was: Straw-man charter for http-bis

On Thu, Jun 07, 2007 at 06:11:53PM -0400, Keith Moore wrote:
> Julian Reschke wrote:
> > BTW: does the framework really require fixing?
>
> I am pretty sure that it does.  I think sites will continue to insist on
> being in control of the look and feel of the username/password dialog.

Fixing that does not require any changes to the HTTP auth framework. Roy
pointed out a long time ago that this can be done simply by defining an
extension to HTML which allows an HTML 401/407 response body to contain
a form which is used to enter credentials.  <form action="authenticate">
or something.

(and possibly some method for browsers to advertise support for this)

joe