Re: [webkit-dev] Accept- & Content-Resolution headers proposal

On 07/06/2007, at 19:18, Nicholas Shanks wrote:

>> Why force a "next size up" if most UAs prefer a dpi which is
>> "close enough"?
>
> Do they? I guess it depends. I don't mind spending the bandwidth
> for better looking graphics, but someone on a pay-as-you-download
> phone most likely would.

But the UA should be able to tell this in the header, so normal
browsers have more leeway in scaling up, but phones can prefer low-
resultion.

>> All the other Accept-XXX headers (except Accept-Ranges) uses a
>> wildcard if other values are accepted, e.g. (RFC 2616)
>>   section 14.2:  Accept-Charset: iso-8859-5, *
>>   section 14.3:  Accept-Encoding: gzip, *
>>   section 14.4:  Accept-Language: da, en, *
>>
>> All 3 supports adding a "quality value which represents the user's
>> preference for that charset/...".  Could this be used to allow the
>> UA to tell the server if it wants a "higher up" or "closest"?
>
> something like "Accept-Resolution: 200; allow-closest" to allow
> 180dpi images to be sent, and "Accept-Resolution: 200" to get the
> 240dpi images? I can't see a way to shoe-horn q= parameters into
> doing this in any meaningful way.

If we leave out the "dpi" tag and allow the value to be a range, it
could be specified as:
	Accept-Resolution: 70-80;q=3, 50-150;q=2, 150-400;q=1

(note that comma separates the items in an accept header, not
semicolon.)

A high-resolution for printing would use e.g.:
	Accept-Resolution: 300-400;q=3, 200-600;q=2, 50-2000;q=1

> An asterisk would be implied because there will always be a closest
> match, even if the only resolution is lower than a client
> requested. (i.e. There would be no 406 errors because of this header)

If we allow a range, why not? Then the UA would be able to say: "I
dont want any media for dpi > 100". Cell phones could use this to
avoid download of huge files.

>> I assume this would be used too when printing a web-page, so the
>> printed output can use high-resultion images.  (I've implemented a
>> page which uses high-resolution GIFs for icons, and it is a pita
>> to maintain).
>
> I'd be interested in seeing that, just for curiosity's sake.

A summer rental house:
http://www.dancenter.co.uk/house/11508/20071110

If you click on the "Print page" you get a page using higher-
resolution media:

1) The red icons to the right on the page, e.g. "grocer's shop", are
sent as 150 dpi versions. I fould that 150 dpi was sufficient for
pretty output, and 300 dpi was not needed.

2) Photos are sent in a slightly larger version.

(the page lack a lot of text (and might have really bad English) as
the site is provided primarly in German and Scandinavian due to the
market).

----
    - Peter Speck