Re: Straw-man charter for http-bis

From: Paul Hoffman <phoffman@imc.org>
Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2007 10:35:03 -0700
To: Keith Moore <moore@cs.utk.edu>
Cc: Apps Discuss <discuss@apps.ietf.org>, "ietf-http-wg@w3.org Group" <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>

At 12:09 PM -0400 6/7/07, Keith Moore wrote:
>2617 doesn't need clarification, it needs to be deprecated and replaced
>with not only different schemes but an entirely different framework.

We need to deal with the real world. In the real world, Basic and
Digest Auth are used. In the real world, the better replacement for
them is not deployed. It is fine for us to say "please stop doing
that, use this instead", but it is myopic and unhelpful to deprecate
something that is in widespread use.