Re: [webkit-dev] Accept- & Content-Resolution headers proposal

From: Nicholas Shanks <contact@nickshanks.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2007 17:29:21 +0100
To: ietf-http-wg@w3.org
On 7 Jun 2007, at 17:14, Jim Gettys wrote:

> Heh.
>
> DPI is a useless measure of resolution, unless it is based on an
> expected distance to the screen.

Oh, I wholly agree. But that information generally isn't available to
the client anyway, so we have to do with the next best thing.
One can presume that a presentation is taking place in an auditorium,
that a TV is across a living room and a computer screen "at arm's
length" (as I believe CSS defines it) and the client can guess based
on the current CSS media style how far away the viewers are,

> As it stands now, we have to
> use Gecko's new scaling features to have decent behavior.

Something Opera has had for a while

- Nicholas.