Re: Accept- & Content-Resolution headers proposal

From: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2007 17:54:15 +0200
To: Nicholas Shanks <contact@nickshanks.com>
CC: ietf-http-wg@w3.org, WebKit Development <webkit-dev@lists.webkit.org>

Nicholas Shanks wrote:
> It has been mentioned on the Safari WebKit development mailing list that
> a HTTP header which specified a document's target resolution would be
> useful to allow clients to negotiate for high-res or low-res artwork and
> CSS referring to such (background-image, and the like), depending on
> their screen pixels, printer resolution, etc.
> I would like to propose this to the Working Group.
> My ideas are as follows:
>

> The client (a laptop, say) requests -
>
> GET /style/default HTTP/1.2
> Host: example.com
> Accept-Content: text/css, text/dsssl, text/xsl
> Accept-Resolution: 116.66 dpi

How is "Accept-Content" different from "Accept"
(<http://greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/rfc2616.html#rfc.section.14.1>)?

Also, I find talking about resolution-dependent stylesheets about
surprising, as a CSS can be written in a resolution-independent way,
right? Maybe you should only use bitmap images as examples.

Best regards, Julian