Re: Issue i17 (Revise description of the POST method)

mån 2007-06-04 klockan 17:39 +0200 skrev Julian Reschke:
> Getting back to my original point: with the resolution of Issue i17, we
> have relaxed the constraints of POST so that the definition actually
> matches reality. I don't think it was intended to change the definition
> of PUT, though.

I don't see it. Can you elaborate.

The difference between PUT and POST is just that. The Request-URI in
POST identifies the location of the resource responsible for processing
the enclosed entity, while the Request-URI of PUT identifies the
intended location of where the enclosed entity should be published.

How the server processes a POST is entirely application dependent and
outside the specifications.

Note: HTML defines data format for posting forms results, but thats just
one application of POST.

> Thus, we may want to change
>
>  "The fundamental difference ..."
>
> to something like
>
>  "One difference...."
>
> because now there are more fundamental differences than before, right?

I'm fine with both wordings. But it is the most fundamental difference
between the two methods.

Regards
Henrik