Re: Straw-man charter for http-bis

From: Henrik Nordstrom <henrik@henriknordstrom.net>
Date: Fri, 01 Jun 2007 00:28:05 +0200
To: Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net>
Cc: "Roy T. Fielding" <fielding@gbiv.com>, "ietf-http-wg@w3.org Group" <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>, Apps Discuss <discuss@apps.ietf.org>
fre 2007-06-01 klockan 07:15 +1000 skrev Mark Nottingham:
> Somehow, HTTP has been implemented and become one of the most widely-
> deployed application protocols today, despite your claims that the
> spec needs to be re-written from scratch. I don't hear *anyone* else
> saying that this necessary, or a realistic option.

It probably is from the perspective of having a easy to read and error
free protocol specification, but this is not one of the requirements for
an IETF protocol standard.

Imho the goal of this effort is to push HTTP/1.1 specifications forward
to the level that it can be accepted as an IEFT standard. Not to make a
perfect specification.

Once that is accomplished work should start on the next version of HTTP
to improve both specifications and protocol based on what is learnt from
HTTP, WebDAV, CalDAV and other HTTP extensions or applications using
HTTP as a meaningful substrate, but that's a separate effort.

Regards
Henrik