Resourcing HTTP work [was: Planned for Chicago?]

On 26/04/2007, at 7:48 AM, David Morris wrote:

> Is there HTTP related activity proposed/planned for Chicago.
>
> Perhaps I missed it.

It's been discussed as a possibility for a while; Prague was deemed
not to attract the right size of crowd, and we were between ADs.

> Hard to justify the expense of attending the IETF meeting in
> Chicago w/o an agenda.

See <http://www.ietf.org/meetings/69-cutoff_dates.html>; the hard
cutoff for scheduling a BoF is June 11.

Since you bring it up, the biggest question over starting work in
this area is whether there are appropriate resources available; i.e.,
qualified people willing to give their time to edit documents, review
documents, chair a group, etc. -- and therefore this is likely to be
the focus of discussion there.

Although we have a small core of people working now, that's not
necessarily enough to sustain a Working Group through the process,
especially when revising such a highly visible specification.

One interesting bit of advice that I got in Prague was that if we're
at the point where one person leaving can cause the effort to fail,
maybe it should fail anyway. I can't say that we're *not* at that
point right now. Between now and Chicago, I'd hope that we can make a
more definitive statement one way or another.

Cheers,