Re: WPAD Support for IPv6 (on-topic?)

From: Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net>
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2007 17:30:13 +1000
Cc: "ietf-http-wg@w3.org" <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
To: Eric Lawrence <ericlaw@exchange.microsoft.com>

Hi Eric,

On 03/04/2007, at 10:02 AM, Eric Lawrence wrote:
> Iím not sure this is the best forum for this question, but I figure
> that the folks here can point me in the right direction if Iím
> seriously off-topic.  J
The problem with proxy.pac has always been finding an appropriate
forum; it's really just a set of ECMAScript extensions, so some might
say that's the best place. I'm not sure I agree, as most of the
relevant expertise seems to be here.
>  A while ago, our Networking team blogged about how Microsoftís
> HTTP stacks handle support WPAD for IPv6 addresses.
>
> Iím curious if you had any feedback on the approach weíve taken:
>
> http://blogs.msdn.com/wndp/articles/IPV6_PAC_Extensions_v0_9.aspx
>
> http://blogs.msdn.com/wndp/archive/2006/07/18/IPV6-WPAD-for-WinHttp-
> and-WinInet.aspx
Seems sensible at a first glance, with the possible exception of
getClientVersion(); can't scripts just test for the *Ex functions?
Also, its value is specified as the version of the WPAD engine, but I
don't think these are specific to WPAD...

Cheers,