RE: NEW ISSUE: 13.1.2's Definition of 1xx Warn-Codes

From: Travis Snoozy (Volt) <a-travis@microsoft.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2006 09:15:20 -0800
To: Larry Masinter <LMM@acm.org>, 'Joris Dobbelsteen' <Joris@familiedobbelsteen.nl>
CC: "ietf-http-wg@w3.org" <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>

Larry Masinter said:
> >   1xx  Warnings that describe the freshness or revalidation status of
> >     the response, and so MUST be deleted after a successful
> >     revalidation. 1XX [sic] warn-codes MAY be generated by a
> >     cache only when validating a cached entry. It MUST NOT be generated
> >     by clients.
>
> What does the last sentence mean, anyway? A '1xx warn-code'
> isn't a request header. So how would a Client 'generate' one
> anyway?

I interpret "generating" a 1xx warn-code to mean either adding a new Warning header with that warn code, or appending the warn-code to the last Warning header in a given message. I don't know if that's the intent or not (there's no explicit definition of "generate"), but I think it's a reasonable guess.

-- Travis