Re: NEW ISSUE: date formats in BNF and spec text, was: RFC 2616 Errata: Misc. Typos

From: Roy T. Fielding <fielding@gbiv.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2006 15:55:46 -0800
Cc: "ietf-http-wg@w3.org" <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
To: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@squid-cache.org>

On Dec 20, 2006, at 2:29 PM, Henrik Nordstrom wrote:
> Should HTTP-date be reduced into just rfc1123-date and replaced by it,
> and the compatibility with the obsolete date formats moved to section
> 19.4, or should we try to clarify HTTP-date further.

No, there is no need for any changes in that section (aside from
updating the BNF to the ABNF standard).

The BNF is for parsing the superset of what is allowed in a message,
not for defining all of the specifics of each message generation.
All IETF specs that use BNF specify it to be lenient in what is
received,
while the text requirements add limitations to be conservative in
what is sent.

....Roy