Re: Etag-on-write, draft -04

From: Lisa Dusseault <lisa@osafoundation.org>
Date: Fri, 8 Dec 2006 18:06:17 -0800
Cc: Wilfredo Sánchez Vega <wsanchez@wsanchez.net>, HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>, Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
To: Roy T.Fielding <fielding@gbiv.com>
Just one question from all this conversation I just caught up on
(didn't realize Wilfredo had posted to the main list).

If a server doesn't return an ETag at all in response to PUT , isn't
the client likely to assume that the server wants it to use the Last-
Modified value instead?  In which case today's clients will all
assume they already have the content (what they PUT)  and never
download what the server actually stored.

Lisa