Re: NEW ISSUE: Drop Content-Location

On Thu, 30 Nov 2006, Henrik Nordstrom wrote:

> tor 2006-11-30 klockan 00:06 +0100 skrev Julian Reschke:
>
>> And, btw, would RoyF's suggested change
>> (<http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/ietf-http-wg/2006OctDec/0192.html>)
>> fix the problem for you?
>
> After some serious consideration on the implications I think this change
> should at most be done a note documenting that many user-agents ignore
> Content-Location, maybe angled as an HTTP/1.0 relic. Content-Location
> did not exists in HTTP/1.0, so any server wanting to support HTTP/1.0
> clients can not rely on the user-agents understanding Content-Location
> for establishing the base URL.
>
> I think it's a good feature to keep, allowing very nice optimizations of
> the URL-namespace if used correctly for defining the base URL, and can
> already find very good use outside the browsing use case of HTTP. Just
> sad there is too many sites not sending correct headers making it hard
> to deploy in the browsers.

In the case of editing a negotiated resource, CL might be very useful, so
ruling out CL entirely because a particular point of 14.14 and the lack of
implementation of it in 99% of the browsers is not wanted.
Roy's approach to remove only the part setting the base of the document
would work (although it would make conformant brosers and sites
non-conformant, but that's another story).

--
Yves Lafon - W3C