Re: Etag-on-write, 4rd attempt (== IETF draft 03), was: I-D ACTION:draft-reschke-http-etag-on-write-03.txt

From: Helge Hess <helge.hess@opengroupware.org>
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2006 00:08:32 +0100
To: HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>

On Nov 6, 2006, at 20:18, Wilfredo Sánchez Vega wrote:
> Yes, you can make sure your iCalendar generation is deterministic,
> but if you change the software, you need to change the strong ETags
> for every resource on your server along with it.  That's inane.

Thinking about it, I suppose it isn't that insane or impractical.

If the binary representation changes if the software changes, you
"just" need to embed a software version identifier in the etag? (eg
the iCal generation framework version [A/B/C...]) That doesn't sound
too hard / inappropriate.

Greets,
   Helge
--